Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Birds and Other Odd Creatures Of Car Collisions

I just read a news article “Steven Gerrard In Car Collision”, about a car accident involving Steven Gerrard, the captain of Liverpool’s football team, and a 10-year old boy. The incident happened October 2 along Grantham Road in Birkdale, Merseyside in London. The report said Gerrard was driving along the place when the boy suddenly ran out and hit the side of the car. Although the boy did not suffer any serious injury but was nevertheless hospitalized, Gerrard was reportedly shocked at the incident.

According to the captain’s spokesman and I quote here: “Steven was distressed over the incident and he has been in contact with the boy’s family to check his progress and plans to visit him in the next couple of days.”

I find this article a bit odd, at the same time appalling, not because it happened to a celebrity, or someone famous and popular; but because it was not the usual car versus car accident collision. In Gerrard’s case, it was the boy who hit car.

I can understand Gerrard’s feeling in this incident. I had the same experience some months ago while driving home from vacation. A bird flew straight to my car, hit the windshield but did not smash it. I knew the poor thing died because of the collision. Until now, I could still see a faint blood mark on my car’s windshield.

But in a case like this, whose fault is it? Was it Gerrard’s or the 10-year old boy? Who has the right to claim damages in odd car accidents like this?